Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Hi I'm Samson

If you heard the story of Samson in Sunday School chances are you only heard part of it. They probably left out the Lust, Sin, Betrayal, Vengeance, and Death parts. Yeah, we do that to make things all warm and fuzzy, instead of telling the truth.

I just read the story of Samson in my daily reading. You can read it here in the Book of Judges (Chapters 13-16). What struck me most as I read it was the sadness I felt for Samson. His life started off well but then went wrong because of sin.

The interesting thing about Samson was how much like you and me he seems to be. Apart from his super-human strength he really was a lustful, backsliding hypocrite just like me.

Samson started out on the right path in life - devoted to God - but then he met a woman, a prostitute, and things went downhill from there.

How often do we get distracted by sin like Samson did? Too often would be MY guess. We can start out the day with the best intentions but before long we get distracted and fail the very God we profess to have faith in.

Samson's ultimate downfall was another woman named Delilah. She was not an Israelite and her people wanted to see Samson dead so Delilah betrayed Samson. A sad story indeed. But the last thing Samson did before he died was pray to God for his strength to return. Why? So he could kill God's enemies . . . along with himself.

"28 Then Samson prayed to the Lord, “Sovereign Lord, remember me. Please, God, strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes.” 29 Then Samson reached toward the two central pillars on which the temple stood. Bracing himself against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other, 30 Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines!” Then he pushed with all his might, and down came the temple on the rulers and all the people in it. Thus he killed many more when he died than while he lived." - Judges 16:28-30

When God's Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin, don't we also pray to God and seek His help in overcoming our iniquities?  What or whom is OUR Delilah? Is there something that is keeping us from following God's commands and being obedient to His will?

In the end Samson sacrificed himself to accomplish god's will. He repents. Isn't that what WE are supposed to be doing?

The story of Samson also proved another thing to me. How forgiving and loving God is. 

Samson Movie Trailer
Samson - Walk In Faith Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment