Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Send In The Clowns

Something wasn't quite right. Something was missing. It was almost as if part of my world had changed somehow. And it had. Then it hit me. There were no smiles.

I stopped in to visit my old place of employment yesterday. It was the second day of work for these friends of mine after the governor of our fair state mandated the wearing of face coverings. Just about everybody was wearing a mask.

The people sounded normal - a little muffled perhaps - but I still recognized their voices. But their faces. Something was missing. It was like something out of a Twilight Zone episode.

The problem was that I couldn't see the facial expressions of my friends. I couldn't see their smiles. And that was it. Everyone was veiled behind their mask like the sun when it hides behind the clouds. The day, the workplace, their faces, were all diminished by the masks concealing their smiles.

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." - 1 Corinthians 13:11-12

Whether we wear masks or not, God sees behind any "false fronts" we may put up. God sees the heart. He knows the source of all our problems and all that troubles us from within.

Wearing a mask on our face for protection is not really any different than putting a veil over our hearts to protect ourselves from pain and suffering. And just as we need to see the smiles on people's faces, we need Jesus to lift the coverings that conceal our hearts.

And when you think about it, isn't Jesus the cure for every malady the world has to offer these days? So let us put on Christ. HE is the cure we ALL need.

"Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh." - Romans 13:14

Send In The Clowns - Frank Sinatra (Joker)

No comments:

Post a Comment