Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Generations

Here's a challenge for you today. Can you figure out what this is?

I saw something in church on Sunday that made me want to take a picture. However, my quick-thinking brain told me that standing up during the pastor's sermon to do so would have been bad. So, I sketched it.

It's not very good. I'll admit that. But let me tell you what it is and maybe you will be able to figure out why I wanted to memorialize it in my sermon notes.

This is a series of chairs a few rows in front of me at church. There are people sitting in the chairs. Beginning from left to right, a mom, her daughter, the grandmother and the grandfather. You can also see the pastor and his pulpit in the distance.

If you could detect ANY of that before my explanation, congratulations!

The little girl, aged 6 0r 7, is reading her Bible. Her mom told me she only knows few words. But everyone around her, her mother and her grandmother, were reading theirs so that's what SHE wanted to do. And that's what I thought was cool. Three generations of women, all with Bibles in their hands.

This world has a lot of problems in it. Some of those problems are absolutely devastating. But ALL of them can be made better by studying and applying God's Word. People who say, "How can my life get better by simply reading a book?"

The answer to that question has been uttered by moms across the world who are trying to get their children to eat something new.

"How do you know you don't like it if you've never even tried it?"

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." - Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment