Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Next Thing You Know


My wife and I were watching one of "our" TV shows when they cut to a commercial. As is their habit on this show, they usually play some "bumper music," which they did. But instead of muting the song, which my wife usually does, she held the remote and just listened. We both really liked the song. But then it was gone. What was it?

That's where modern technology comes in handy. Most people our age can be incredibly clueless when it comes to technological advances, but, using Google, we did figure out who the artist was and quickly found the song on YouTube (link at bottom).

It was a country song. And although "country" isn't really our thing, we both really enjoyed listening to it. Here's a few of the lyrics:

'Cause next thing you know
You got a yard full of your kid's kids
And ya take 'em to church, teach 'em to fish
And ya tell 'em stories every chance you get
About how fast this life down here can go

That's the stage my wife and I are at. Our kids have kids. And we love it when they're in our yard.

As I listened to the song, the first thing I noticed was how my mind went back in time to our OWN marriage and how I have loved my wife through all of the changes along the way. 

The second thing that crossed my mind was the amazing grace that God has extended to us. We've had our ups and downs, just like most couples. But our love has always endured. We've put up with each other for over 49 years.

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
His love endures forever." - Psalm 139:1

I guess from this point on, the next thing you know, we'll both be in heaven, worshipping our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. As the song says, "our life down here" sure goes fast.

But God has been with us since before we were born. As it says in Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."

I wonder . . . what would happen if we thought about God as we listened to that song? What if we thought about how He has watched over us and directed our steps all along the way. Would our relationship with Him, and our love for Him, grow stronger?

There's one way to find out . . .

Next Thing You Know - Jordan Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment