Saturday, January 13, 2018

Beautiful

When we hear the word "beautiful" what do you think about? Movie stars, fashion models, a majestic landscape perhaps? God showed me a new use for the word "beautiful" this week at work . . . in a most unusual way.

They say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. A man might look at a woman and think that she's beautiful, while that same woman looks at herself in the mirror and sees ugliness. But SEEING beauty is only part of what the word beautiful means. Have you ever experienced beauty? Actually felt it?

Two days ago at work I sensed someone walk up behind me as I sat in my workstation. Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder and a man's voice said, "I'm leaving now."

I recognized the voice. It was that of my long-time friend and boss who was about to head off to the Mayo Clinic for an experimental medical procedure. He knew it's going to be painful. He's had several of these operations before.

Getting up out of my chair, I gave him a hug. As I did so he whispered, "Please pray for me" in my ear. I told him that I would and then asked, "You wanna do that right now?" He said, "Sure."

So we both walked into a nearby office - the one where his wife works. The three of us put our arms around each other and we prayed. And do you know what THAT is?

Beautiful.

I find myself reminded of the story in Acts 3 about the apostles and a beggar. The later is trying to get to the gate of the temple called Beautiful.

"3 One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. When all the people saw him walking and praising God, 10 they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him." - Acts 3:3-10

If our bodies are "a temple" as it says in 1 Corinthians 6:19, where do you suppose OUR Beautiful Gate is? I think the gate is our hearts. When my friend approached me this week he was playing the role of the beggar. God placed me in the role of Peter. I didn't have anything I could give my friend that would satisfy his need for healing. But what I do have I can give him. So I took him to God in prayer and, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I prayed for healing just like Peter did.

Will God heal my friend? I do not know. But if He does I bet my friend will be walking and jumping, and praising God.

Is there someone in your life right now who needs prayer? Open up the door of your beautiful gate and let them into the temple.

Beauty From Pain - Superchick
We Live - Superchick

No comments:

Post a Comment