Saturday, January 6, 2018

Stay Warm!

Shortly after we built our house here in Central Wisconsin there was a stretch of REALLY cold weather. Actual temperature was in the mid-twenties below zero. Wind chill was -76 degrees. Everything froze - our car, our butts and our pipes. I wish I would have known these five tips for staying warm.

For years I have gone to bed at night wearing very little. (Sorry about the frightening mental image. There is a point coming.) My body had managed to produce enough heat to to the point where I was warm. My wife would cuddle with me during the winter months so she could suck up all of my heat. Times change.

You should see me now. (Again, sorry to put you through this. We're almost out of the woods. LOL!) These nights when it's been so cold I am currently wearing thick socks, jammy shorts, a tee shirt AND a sweatshirt! It's cold! I'm just trying to stay warm.

Our faith can be like that. It can grow cold when the nights get long and the storms get rough. Has that happened to you? You are certainly not alone. So, how do we stay warm when we begin to get spiritually cold?
  1. Pray - Seek God and His Holy Spirit. He will keep your spirit warm. All we have to do is ask and it shall be given to us. Especially if we ask for stuff like that!
  2. Read - There is nothing like God's Word to remind us of things we should already know. Romans 8 always lifts me up when my faith grows cold. Read Psalms or one of the Gospels and you will begin to feel warmer inside.
  3. Worship - I LOVE being with my church family.  There is nothing like singing praise songs to warm you up!
  4. Serve - Nothing makes me warmer than by serving others. It focuses my mind and heart on someone else instead of myself. What good is a pity party if you are the only one there.
  5. Love - What an amazing heat source love is. Friends and family can be a tremendous heat source for our souls when we stop to consider who provided them for us. God!
Are you feeling spiritually cold? I once was. Reach out to someone, read the Bible, love unconditionally, pray without ceasing. My friend, you will be warm in no time at all.

"9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: 10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." - Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Soul On Fire - Third Day

No comments:

Post a Comment