Monday, December 16, 2019

The Joy Of Suffering

I had kind of a rough night last night, spending it sitting in a chair trying to sleep. Somehow I had strained my back and also gotten heartburn. It's a great combination. I'd recommend them both highly if you are looking for ways to get closer to God.

What do you do at night when you'd rather be sleeping but can't? The mind starts to wander. The next thing I knew, at 1:00 in the morning, was I was "sure" I was having a heart ache and how my family would have to clean up all my junk in the basement. And who was going to attend my funeral and what they would say about me?!? Lol!

Minds can be wild, untamed things. They tend to wander off by themselves and get into trouble, thinking about things they really shouldn't. But at least brains have one positive thing going for them - Christian brains that is. The Christian mind, eventually, will turn to God for help in times of need or trouble.

Yes, I prayed last night. I think we all do that when things get bad enough. Pain is a great pastor. It reminds us of just who is in charge and who it is that has the power to heal and restore.

I woke up this morning and the heartburn was gone. The pain in my back had subsided. I thanked God for watching over me and taking care of me.

Some people might ask, "How do you know that it was God who made you feel better?" To that I reply, "How do you know it wasn't Him?" Believe what you want. "As for me and MY house" . . .

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” - Joshua 24:15

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, a whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4

The thing pain and suffering teach us about life is that we must trust and rely on God more than we do. And is that such a bad thing? No. But I DO think we need to thank God for the reminders and pay more attention to Him than we do. We should be grateful that we have a God who loves us and cares about us enough to rebuke us and teach us lessons we need to learn them.

What pain would YOU like to get rid of today? Is it painful enough for you to get on your knees and pray? I hope so. That's where the healing begins.

Healing Begins - Tenth Avenue North

No comments:

Post a Comment