Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Life From Death

"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain."
- John 12:24

I found myself thinking about this verse on Monday at my uncle's funeral. I heard the stories of my uncle's life - a man if faith, Bible studies, and service in World War II.

Many of the stories were new to us. We hadn't heard the before. And now that we were hearing them, we ourselves became changed. They were inspiring stories. Stories that made us want to be like Uncle Jim. Then, in my morning reading, I read this:

“The poor and needy search for water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. But I the Lord will answer them. I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. 18I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs. 19I will put in the desert the cedar and the acacia, the myrtle and the olive. I will set junipers in the wasteland, the fir and the cypress together, 20so that people may see and know, may consider and understand, that the hand of the Lord has done this, that the Holy One of Israel has created it." - Isaiah 41:17-20

In the death of my uncle, 'new life' WAS created. Precious moments and memories that will last a lifetime. But the ultimate example of 'new life from death' has to be Jesus. Killed on a cross, He rose from the dead into new life.

Jesus died to pay for OUR sins. so that WE might have eternal life. New life from death. That 'new life' is called being born AGAIN. Jesus said it was essential to attain eternal life.

"Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So, it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” - John 3:5-8

Everyone on earth had been born. That is their first birth. Sadly, for some, that first birth will be their only birth. We need a second birth, a spiritual birth, to receive eternal life. We must be 'born again' as Jesus said.

How many times have YOU been born?

No comments:

Post a Comment