Monday, April 18, 2022

The Straight and Narrow

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
- Romans 12:2

Not conforming is something I'm really good at. I grew up in the 60's. As a result, I have learned not to trust anybody, unless that trust is earned first. Perhaps that's why this Robert Frost quote appealed to me so much in high school.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

Then, when I read the following verse in the Bible, I was reminded of Frost and my desire NOT to conform.

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." - Matthew 7:13-14

Jesus wants me to walk on the road less traveled? Mo problem!

I guess it's all a matter of who you trust. Do I trust my government? No. Why not? Because time and time again they have failed to earn my trust. Jesus, on the other hand, has never given me any reason NOT to trust Him.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6

There's that word again. The Path. The narrow road. It kind of sounds like I'm on a journey, going someplace special.

Speaking of the 60's like I was a few paragraphs ago, how about some Blood, Sweat and Tears!

Did you find the directing sign on the
Straight and narrow highway
Would you mind a reflecting sign
Just let it shine within your mind
And show you the colors that are real . . .

The song continues with the third verse that begins, "Someone is waiting just for you."

He IS waiting. And He's waiting just for you. What are you waiting for? :)

Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat and Tears

No comments:

Post a Comment