Wednesday, October 12, 2022

All For Jesus?


Every so often I wake up with a song in head. It plays repeatedly until I get busy doing something else or some other "top hit" makes it's way through to #1. Does that ever happen to you?

This time however the song was relentless. It was as if someone wanted me to understand something.

The words in my head kept repeating and repeating, until their meaning became clear.

"Jesus, all for Jesus, all I am and have and ever hope to be."

Is "all I am and have and ever hope to be," all for Jesus? Ouch. Honestly, no. This is a very humbling lyric for me.

The song goes on to say this:

"All on my ambitions, hopes and plans, I surrender these into your hands."

Do I do that? Do I surrender "my ambitions, hopes and plans" into the hands of Jesus? Umm, next question please.

And then this line. This line in the song really made me think.

"For it's only in your will that I am free."

Think about that for a moment and let it sink in deeply. It is only in the will of God that we can be free. Free from what?

Free from sin. Free from disappointing God with our decisions and actions. Free from guilt and remorse. Free to love others unconditionally and without ulterior motives, strings and attachments. Free! Totally free!

No wonder I am singing this sing over and over again. It is a reminder. A reminder for why God created us in the first place.

We were not created for any other purpose than to love, honor and obey our Lord. Period.

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” - Matthew 22:36-40

No comments:

Post a Comment