Monday, October 31, 2022

Bob, Bob


I might be old but I am still learning what it means to be a follower of Christ. Like this past Saturday for example.

I was running a glow-in-the-dark disc golf tournament. Preparations were going well. I had lights for the baskets, glow-in-the-dark plastic, and treats for everyone. 

I even had volunteers - a rare thing these days. I was so organized and prepared I even had time to listen to a sermon I had missed the previous weekend due to illness.

The message was from Luke 10:

"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed - or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” - Luke 10:38-42

Good message. Then Saturday, three hours before the event, I received a text from one of my volunteers. 

"I can't make it tonight."

What!?! Seriously? How irresponsible of him. This put a major cramp in my plans for the evening. How could I manage? Everything hinged on these volunteers being there. Great. Just great.

Later, as the event was about to begin, a car pulled up. My ONE volunteer got out. But then my OTHER volunteer also climbed out. The one who had cancelled.

Well, he probably felt guilty and came, I thought. Nope. He came to teach me a lesson.

"I had a flat tire and Nate saved me."

I could almost hear Jesus saying, "Bob, Bob. You are worried and upset about many things."

I was so concerned with my event that day, so busy with my preparations, that I had neglected to ask why my cancelling volunteer WHY he couldn't make it. I just dismissed him as his breaking a promise. It was actually I who was at fault.

Life can get busy at times but it should never get so busy that we forget to do the things God asks us to do.

What will God be asking us to do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment