Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Words I Would Say


Have you ever left a conversation and said, "What I SHOULD have said was (fill in the blank)." I do that way too much.

Or how about this one . . .

"I should have prayed with him/her."

Or . . .

"I should have shared the Gospel."

Speaking of sharing the Gospel, how do we do that without people getting mad at us? My advice is to start out slow and ask a lot of questions. Jesus Himself asked the perfect question of Peter.

"But what about you?” He asked. “Who do you say I am?” - Matthew 16:15

We could ask people if they believe in God, but there are many gods. We should ask people about Jesus, specifically. Sadly, there are also many versions of Jesus in the world today. Peter gave a pretty good answer to Jesus' question.

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” - Matthew 16:16

We must then get specific about Jesus. After they answer the question above, ask them this one.

"Tell me about Jesus. What has He ever done for you?"

Someone who is already saved will most likely give you their testimony, or at least part of it. Then they should tell you about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. The unsaved person will merely describe who they 'think' Jesus is.

[Be cautious right here my friends. When questioning someone's beliefs we must be prepared for pushback. People don't like having their beliefs questioned.]

That's why we must read the Bible and have verses at the ready. How can people argue against God, who IS God . . . and never lies.

But they WILL argue. They WILL push back. What should we do then?

"When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. “Lord, have mercy on my son,” he said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him.”

“You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me.” Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment.

Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”

He replied, “Because you have so little faith." Matthew 17:14-20

We humans do not have the power to save anyone. But we do have the ability to make them think. Get them thinking. Then let them go. That's where prayer begins.

We much pray for God to open their hearts and minds. Is their salvation the 'desire of your heart?' And that's where faith begins. Pray that God would increase your faith!

Remember the demon-posessed son whose father came to Jesus for help?

"If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”

“ ‘IF you can?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”

Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” - Mark 9:22-24

Lord, help us overcome OUR unbelief. Ask questions, answer when we can, but most importantly, take them to Jesus in prayer.

The Words I Would Say - Sidewalk Profits

No comments:

Post a Comment