Saturday, August 3, 2024

Becoming Alone


Whenever my wife takes a trip I experience what I have come to call a "Free Day." Free days are days in which I can do whatever I want.

I can go disc golfing, I can go out to eat for lunch, I can go shopping at Menards, and I can listen to my favorite music. Loud.

It was during one of those music sessions that I heard some songs that I hadn't heard for a while. Those songs led to several of these stories. Imagine that. Stay "tuned."

I enjoy reading the Bible. However it is easier for me to listen to His Word, given the current state of my eyes. Listening to the Bible and listening to my music has been a huge blessing to me this week.

On my "free days" I can spend as much time with God as I want to. That time alone has led me to this conclusion:

We were meant to become "alone" on this Earth. Let me explain.

"When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." - Psalm 73:21-26

God is a jealous God. How do I know that? It says so in the Bible.

"Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." - Exodus 34:14

That's pretty clear. But what does that mean? What does that look like in the life of a Christian? It means that God comes first. Always.

Example: There have been times I have skipped going to church. Maybe I was sick, or on vacation. Is that right, to not worship God once in a while? Hmm.

Don't they have churches near our vacation destinations? Can't we pull over and worship God at a wayside?

People might say, "That's impractical. The whole purpose of a vacation is to get away from all that."

Really? The whole purpose of being a follower of Jesus is to be obedient and to follow His comands. To worship Him and praise Him. No matter where we are or what we are doing.

If it was just me and Him in this world, what would I do? If God was the only one to talk with, would I? Yes!

Now, God DID say, "It is not right for man to be alone" (Genesis 2:18). But then Jesus said to pray alone (Matthew 6:6). Those are different types of "being alone." The first is physical, the second is spiritual.

If others, and our responsibilities, get in the way of our worshipping God, do you think that God might work against those things so that we can focus on Him? Hmm.

It might be a difficult pill to swallow but this life we are living is not about us. It must be about God. We must "become alone," even when we are in a crowded church.

I fail at this. My mind is always wandering off, I get easily distracted. But I think my goal as a Christian should be to spend alone time with God . . . ALL of the time.

Again, "Whom have I in heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." - Psalm 73:25-26

It's okay to enjoy our "free time." As long as we enjoy it with God. Alone.

"And after He (Jesus) had dismissed the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone." - Matthew 14:23


No comments:

Post a Comment