Saturday, February 9, 2019

Sinking Into Darkness?

I've been there. You too would be my guess. That dark place with no visible means of escape. The cause of us being here may vary but place remains the same. If only there was some way to escapee and climb out of the darkness.

When I was a young father I found myself in such a place. Through a tragic event in our community I began to question God. "How could He allow such a thing?" I asked. That question was asked out of my own ignorance. I didn't really know the God I was yelling at and questioning.

It was only when I was at my lowest point, the darkest hour, that I screamed out. That, as I found out, was where the refiner's fire is at it's hottest. That's where God sets the stage for His amazing redemptive work.

"And I will put this third into the fire, and refine them as one refines silver, and test them as gold is tested. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are my people’; and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’” - Zechariah 13:9

Even though we cannot see much in our times of darkness there are always two ways to escape. Either we look down and drift further and further into the abyss. Or we look up. We reach up, trying to escape.

For those  who choose to look upward, there is an escape hatch. His name is Jesus. Jesus is the exact opposite of darkness.

"Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” - John 8:12

Memorize that verse. Keep it in your pocket. Or better yet, write it on your heart. You will never walk in darkness again.

Pieces - Red
At The Cross - Chris Tomlin

No comments:

Post a Comment