Monday, February 24, 2020

Hidden In Plain Sight

God is pretty good at hiding things. Sometimes the most amazing things can be hidden right in front of our faces yet we cannot see them. Why is that?

"Then Jesus said, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”

10When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12so that,


“ ‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
and ever hearing but never understanding;
otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’ ”
- Mark 4: 9-12

Jesus often spoke in parables. Only those who had received "the Kingdom of God" could understand them. But even at that, Jesus STILL had to explain them sometimes. To everyone else it was like Jesus was just telling stories. They couldn't understand the hidden meaning - "hearing but never understanding."

There is a common phrase in today's language - "Thinking outside of the box." Do we do that? Rather than look at things the normal way, do we search for ALL the possibilities? All the meanings?

A friend of mine recently changed jobs. It was rather stressful, but that was only because my friend wasn't thinking outside of the box. All my friend could think about was himself and his situation. He wasn't thinking that God was placing him in this new job so God could use him as a witness in someone else's life.

Do we search for all of life's possibilities in our prayers? In our work life? At school? Maybe that needs to be our prayer from now on. Instead of praying for a list of things we want perhaps we could try something like this.

Father, today, as I walk through this place, give me eyes to see the things You want me to see. Help me to understand what it is that You want me to do for you. I want to serve you! And I don't want to miss anything you are asking of me. Help me hear you in the whisper of the wind. Help me do Your will, Lord. For Your glory. Amen.

"After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave." - 1 Kings 19:12-13

In The Whisper - Christy Nockels

No comments:

Post a Comment