Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Deep Dark Woods

Have you ever found yourself in a very dark place? Alone and afraid of what lies ahead of you? Want some company?

I have never faced a life or death battle - in a war or in a hospital bed - but I have walked beside people who have. There is one thing I know for sure. It is an honor to be there.

I was reminded this week of a time when I was giving my testimony to someone about how I came to faith in Christ. Part of that testimony involves the abduction and murder of a nine-year old girl in our town. What a tragedy that was. Each time I tell that part of my story I get emotional. It's a very painful thing, even to this day, when I think about that family and what they went through.

As I was telling this particular person that part of my story, the person hearing it reached out their hand and held mine, helping me get through it.

Isn't that what we should be doing when people in our lives are going through a tragedy, a medical procedure or some other painful experience? We should be exhibiting the same compassion for others that Christ showed countless times for us in our suffering.

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps." - 1 Peter 2:21

What an honor it is to willingly walk with someone during their time of sorrow or doubt.

Think of Jesus, hanging on that cross. Where were the disciples? Were they hanging next to Him? NO. They had all scattered, afraid for their lives. Truly, they should have suffered and died themselves, if they were true disciples and truly walking with Christ. Only after His resurrection did they truly understand. And suffer.

Who will we walk with today? Is there somebody in YOUR life who is walking alone? I wonder how they would feel if suddenly you were there, asking to walk with them for a while. And how would God feel when we did that?

In The Garden - Alan Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment