Saturday, October 17, 2020

Degrees of Prayer

Sometimes when we pray our prayers are not as meaningful as at other times. Why is that? We are praying to the same God. The only thing that changes is us. Us and our heart at the moment we pray.

Don't get me wrong. God still hears ALL of the prayers of His children. But I think there is a tendency for God to act on those prayers of our that are really deep, impassioned, powerful prayers.

There is more to prayer that just words. Our hearts must be prayerful too. I wonder . . . is it possible to pray with just our hearts and nothing else?

Hezekiah was on his death bed. God sent the prophet Isaiah to him to inform Hezekiah that we was about to die.

"In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, “This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.”

2Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, 3“Remember, Lord, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly.

4Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the Lord came to him: 5“Go back and tell Hezekiah, the ruler of my people, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you." - 2 Kings 20:1-5

What changed God's mind? I think it was the depth, the degree of Hezekiah's prayer. I'm sure Hezekiah had prayed before during his illness but that final word from Isaiah, that Hezekiah wouldn't be getting any better, changed the intensity of Hezekiah's next prayer. The prayer that changed God's mind.

Do you weep when you pray? Usually I don't. But sometimes I do. This passage from 2nd Kings shows us how effective, fervent prayer has an impact on God's answer to that prayer. We must pray expectantly, hopefully, humbly and passionately. We also must be prepared for God's answer, whatever answer He has for us. Thy will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment