Monday, October 26, 2020

Windows To The Soul

William Shakespeare once wrote that, "The eyes are the window to your soul." I think that's true. Tears then must be the means by which our souls empty out to God when we open those windows to Him.

Yesterday was the anniversary of a young girl's death in our community. She had beautiful eyes. Windows.

I am always reminded during this time just how fragile we humans are. How much we crave the love we all desire to feel. And how desperate we can become when our souls become troubled or weary.

When the burden becomes too great we tend to reach out to convenient things to make the pain stop - alcohol, drugs, a gun. a rope. All that remains after a pain-filled decision are the broken hearts of all the people that loved them.

Why do we never seem to turn to God during our darkest moments? Some of us do. That's why we our broken hearts are still beating.

In Biblical times, when people were greatly saddened, they tore their clothes as a sign of their despair. God had this message for those hurting hearts of old.

“‘ Even now,’ declares the LORD, ‘return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.’ Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity.” - Joel 2:12-13

I sent a message to a friend this week, for no reason other than she popped into my head. I was surprised to hear that this friend had just woken up from a terrible nightmare. Later I learned that my message, as well as messages from two other people, had arrived at the same time.

God uses people to comfort others. We have to remember that the next time a friend calls or we find ourselves struggling. That's what friends are for!

Just a few days ago, I saw the mom of the young lady I mentioned earlier. She too has beautiful eyes . . . windows . . . just like her daughter. My regret today is that I did not think to pray for her and her husband. I should have done so right then and there.

God can heal our broken and hurting hearts. We just have to provide the opportunity for Him to do so.

"The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble." - Psalm 9:9

No comments:

Post a Comment