Monday, March 28, 2022

Count Your Blessings

So, today is my birthday. Birthdays are a time to reflect on one's life - the accomplishments, the memories, and the relationships. It is also a time to be thankful. And THAT is why I am writing this story today.

I couldn't sleep last night. I woke up at one and laid awake until two, trying to get back to sleep. Then I got up and went into the living room and tried to do the same in my chair until three. Not a great night's sleep, but I did sleep.

During my sleepless night I had lots of time to think and to pray. There are so many more things to be thankful for than just being able to sleep. Like being in a warm house for example. There are millions of Ukrainians who don't have a warm place to stay.

As I fix my breakfast, I am thinking about those who will go hungry today. I read in my Bible about people who "had a severe famine in the land" for seven years. And I get cranky if I haven't had my morning breakfast?

Facebook tells me that I have hundreds of friends, but they are really just people I knoww for the most part. I have a handful of really good friends', and of course, family.

Family is a gift that keeps on giving.

Sometimes family or friends die, but the memories we have of them live on, and those memories are with us forever.

"Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." - Proverbs 17:6

Family is the best gift. I am currently reading through 2nd Chronicles. The first ten chapters are all about family. Good people and bad people to be sure, but the overall concept of family and generations are a big thing in God's eyes. Mine too.

Despite my age and the sounds my body makes every time it tries to move, I am grateful it moves at all.
I can no longer do some of the things I used to do when I was younger but that's probably a good thing.
Remember that old saying, "Don't write checks your body can't cash?" Yeah.

So, what am I thankful for today on my birthday? There is no doubt in my mind. I am thankful for God. Without Him I wouldn't exist, nor would any of my family or friends. God has given my everything and for that I am eternally grateful.

And speaking of things to be thankful for, let me not forget Jesus, who gave is very life for us so that we might live with Him forever. And what a precious gift that is!

So today I count my blessings. Thank you for being a part of my life. And my God bless you as richly as He has blessed me.

In my church we sing a song that goes, "Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings, see what God has done." Today, I will do that very thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment