Saturday, July 30, 2022

45 and Counting


Today's story is about love, sacrifice, submission, devotion, endurance, patience, trust, hope, faith, and grace. It's about marriage.

My wife and I have been married for 45 years. Today. We are still in love and still devoted to one another. That's somewhat rare these days, I think.

So, what's the key? I'd say 'love' but Jesus told us that we are to love our enemies (Matthew 5:44) so I'm not sure love is the entire answer.

I think the key to a successful, lengthy marriage is actually sacrifice. And submission.

"Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." - Ephesians 5:1-2

Following God's example. Is that not submitting to His will? And "the way of love" that Paul is taking about here is sacrifice. Sacrifice and submission. Let's keep reading in Ephesians.

"Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." - Ephesians 5:21

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" - Ephesians 5:25

Submit and sacrifice.

If Jesus is my model as a husband, I must sacrifice myself, or should I say my SELF, for my bride.

Example: My wife has a bad back. So do I. One of the household, chores that really bothers my wife's back is vacuuming. Therefore, I volunteered to do all the vacuuming in our house. There are plenty of things I would rather be doing besides vacuuming the carpet, but I would rather vacuum than see my wife in pain.

We're going on a trip to Door County this weekend. My wife knows that I don't like shopping, so she has arranged for me to play disc golf with a relative while she goes and supports the local economy. She was thinking about me and my desires before her own.

Marriage is not 50-50, divorce is 50-50. Marriage is 100-100.

My wife and I have lasted 45 years together. Why? Because we love each other more than we love ourselves. And that, my friends, is the key to ANY successful relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment