Saturday, July 16, 2022

Numb


I watched a music video last night that got me thinking (link below). In the video a young woman went through a series of depressing events in her life.

She dealt with a domineering mother at home, she was abused and alienated at her school. Ultimately, she came running into a church only to find that no one was there.

Has the church of today forgotten its purpose? Have we become "numb" to the problems we see happening in the world? And what about us as individuals? Have we become numb as well?

Jesus said the following to the "numb" church in Ephesus:

"You have forsaken the love you had at first. Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place." - Revelation 4:5

We can see examples of churches doing God's work in Ukraine for example. Samaritan's Purse does not hold back when it comes to going where the love of God is needed, in Jesus' name. But what about us on the individual level?

Why did God give us arms and legs? Could it be because God wanted us to GO where we are needed and to USE the arms He gave us to embrace those who need to feel loved?

Getting back to the video, we are left wondering what happened to the woman. Did she kill herself after her "last resort" - the church - failed to love?

The singer and writer of the song, Chester Bennington, killed himself in 2017. Did HE run into a church at one point in his life only to find it "empty?"

Let us not "become so numb" as a church that we forget what Jesus commanded us to do. Having our lampstand removed by Jesus is NOT something we want to have happen.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

Heavenly Father, I don't want to become numb. Help me to love others who are in need. May my arms always be open to anyone you would place in my path. May my legs always be willing to take me to the places you want me to be. My desire is to be known as one of your disciples - loving, embracing, and moving. It is in Your merciful name that I pray. Amen.

Numb - Linkin Park

No comments:

Post a Comment