Saturday, July 9, 2022

Our Deepest Desire


"Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4


This verse has proved true time and time again in my life. Most recently, just yesterday as I sat in the comfort of my living room chair.

There are two parts of the verse above that need to be defined first before I tell you my story for today. First, what does it mean to "delight in The Lord?"

To me, delighting in the Lord is to love Him, to desire to do His will, and to strive to keep His commandments. If things like that don't delight us, perhaps we could learn from King David. The surrounding verses to the verse above say it all.

Verse 3: "Trust in the Lord and do good;"

Verse 5: "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him."

The second part of today's verse that we need to understand is "the desires of your heart." Just what are those desires? Everyone has different desires. What should "the desires of the heart" be for us?

To know Him and make Him known? To love God and to love our neighbor? And now today's story.

Yesterday, I was talking to a former youth group kid. He had several questions about God. I didn't have all the answers, but I hope he saw that I delighted in the Lord.

Later, I received a text from another former youth group kid. This one, out of the blue, wanted me to know how much they had been thinking about me lately. Could it be that this former kid now wanted more information about God?

Perhaps a future opportunity awaits for the two of us to meet and talk about Jesus. Perhaps a chance awaits to make Him known.

That brings me to "the desires of the heart" part. Neither of these "kids" professes faith in Christ. It is the desire of my heart that, one day, they will.

What is the desire of YOUR heart today? Your deepest hidden desire. Is it God-related? 

No comments:

Post a Comment