Monday, February 6, 2023

Immersion Training


There is nothing that can prepare us for the events we face in life quite like what we'll be talking about today. It could save our lives, or it could kill us.

About 30 years ago my son and I were at a Cub Scout fishing event. The pier in town was pretty crowded and my son was accidentally pushed into the water.

Had I been thinking, I might have decided this would be a good swimming lesson for our son. But I wasn't thinking. I reacted, jumped in the lake, and pulled him out.

However, if I would have stared and watched, perhaps my son would have learned how to swim that day. Or drowned right before my eyes.

My son did not have a choice in his 'training' experience. But sometimes we intentionally put ourselves in harms way to teach ourselves something. It's called immersion training.

The best example of this are firefighters. Intentionally entering burning buildings in their training, just so that, when they encounter the real thing, they will be prepared.

Christians are experiencing immersion training of another kind. Recently a man walked into the Mall of America with a 'Jesus Saves' tee shirt on. He was told to remove the shirt or leave. 'It's offesnsive' they said.

It's going to get worse. In some places on this planet, Christians are killed because of their faith. But we knew that going into this faith where we now stand.

“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." - Matthew 10:21-22

We must stay strong in our faith, no matter what the cost. We have all experienced some minor persecution in our lives. Shunned or spurned by family members.

It's all part of the training. Stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment