Saturday, September 30, 2023

The Parable of the Chimichanga


Do you ever get a craving for Mexican food? I do. Er, I did. The Chimichanga I had for lunch yesterday didn't really create a favorable impression.

First, there was the wrapper. I tried a couple of times to pull it apart but that failed so I got a pair of scissors. "I'll teach you for not opening! I'll CUT you open!!"

Then I tasted it. Blah. No wonder it was a buck in the store. It had very little taste and didn't really live up to my expectations.

That's when it hit me. I'm a chimichanga.

"For thus says the Lord GOD: Because you have clapped your hands and stamped your feet and rejoiced with all the malice within your soul against the land of Israel, therefore, behold, I have stretched out my hand against you, and will hand you over as plunder to the nations. And I will cut you off from the peoples and will make you perish out of the countries; I will destroy you. Then you will know that I am the LORD." - Ezekiel 25:6-7

This past week Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, gave a speech at the United Nations. The UN is dead set against Israel. It won't be long before God has had enough of their abuse of His people, stretch out His mighty hand, and cut them off from the land.

Of course, we won't be here to see it.

"For God has not appointed us to suffer wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ." - 1 Thessalonians 5:9

God, our creator, has certain expectations from those He created. We are to do what is right in His eyes, and not disappoint.

"The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

“I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.

I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” - Genesis 12:1-3

All sinners are like my chimichanga, not living up to expectations. Don't be a cheap chimichanga. Be a blessing, not a curse. Let Jesus remove your sin. Only He can make you into who you were intended to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment