Saturday, September 23, 2023

The Parable of The Glove


Have you got one of these? Or perhaps you have two. What good is one without the other, right? Well, today's story is about a glove. And also about what makes it work.

The picture above is of an old work glove of mine. It's made out of leather and has been used so much that it has holes worn in it. But it did its job, and I'm greatful.

I used this glove for many things. I'd put it on when I was using my chainsaw in the woods, hauling brush, moving concrete block, etc.

The thing about a glove is it can't do anything by itself. It has to be put on and worn before it can be effective.

Oh, we could encourage it to do something. We could yell at it, or say "pretty please," but unless there's a human hand in there somewhere, it's basically useless.

But as soon as it's put on, it serves its purpose and does exactly what it was created to do.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

You and I are empty work gloves. We are limp and useless, unless . . . unless Jesus lives in us.

"For in him we live and move and have our being." - Acts 17:28

Unless we have God's Holy Spirit in us we are useless as thay old work glove.. We who believe in Jesus have His Holy Spirit in us - like a hand in a glove. Through our faith in Christ we have life, eternal life, and it is the Holy Spirit living in us that moves us.

This old body of mine is worn out and weary but it can still move and work for God. If you have not allowed Jesus to do a work in you, your life is probably a lot like my old work glove - empty, useless, and without purpose.

Please, allow yourself to be used by the One who created you. Allow God to direct you and use you for His glory and for your good. And the good news is that when we get to heaven, we get a new "glove" to replace the old!

"But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed! It will happen in a moment, in the blink of an eye, when the last trumpet is blown. For when the trumpet sounds, those who have died will be raised to live forever. And we who are living will also be transformed. For our dying bodies must be transformed into bodies that will never die; our mortal bodies must be transformed into immortal bodies." - 1 Corinthians 15:51-53

Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment