Monday, November 6, 2023

Pass It On


Memories of my childhood are getting farther away these days. Still, a few of them rise to the surface now and again, not unlike a trout rising to partake of an early-evening fly or two.

Our grandson came over for a visit this past weekend. He's 11 now so I thought it might be time to teach him a few things, like how to tie a fly.

My dad taught me how to tie flies. I guess it's one of those things that gets passed from generation to generation. Or watched on YouTube. Lol!

"Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." - Proverbs 22:6

I explained to my grandson that going to the bait shop and buying worms is okay, but there's something special when you can catch a fish using something you made yourself. A sense of accomplishment instilled in a young man's heart.

Then we dropped the fish hook on the floor. It took us five minutes to find it. None of us could get the bobbin threaded, then the ancient feather broke. It was a struggle.

But then, when his dad came to pick him up, he held up the finished fly to show him, with a big smile on his face.

Perhaps my grandson will never use the fly he tied with me, but who knows. Perhaps it will be the first of many. God knows.

"As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him." - Mark 1:16-18

Never pass up an opportunity to teach someone lessons from the heart. They just may become memories that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment