Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Decision Time


Although Vacation Bible School ended just a few months ago it is almost time to signup again for us volunteers. At first I thought that I would retire from active duty. Now I'm not so sure. 

My teaching partner and I are both in our 70's and this past summer's VBS was pretty tiring. My eyes are failing. So is my body. It's hard to keep up with a group of 18 pre-teens. But then, I read my Bible.

"Now there was in Joppa a disciple named Tabitha, which, translated, means Dorcas. She was full of good works and acts of charity. In those days she became ill and died, and when they had washed her, they laid her in an upper room. Since Lydda was near Joppa, the disciples, hearing that Peter was there, sent two men to him, urging him, “Please come to us without delay.” So Peter rose and went with them. And when he arrived, they took him to the upper room. All the widows stood beside him weeping and showing tunics and other garments that Dorcas made while she was with them. But Peter put them all outside, and knelt down and prayed; and turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. And he gave her his hand and raised her up. Then, calling the saints and widows, he presented her alive. And it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed in the Lord." - Acts 9:36-42

Tabitha was one of those rare Christians who just loved serving others. Acts of service, making clothing, everyone loved her. It begs the question, "Are we like her?"

This past Sunday I was sitting in church before the service began, still wondering about volunteering for VBS. Two of this past summer's VBS kids came running up to me with smiles on their faces. The oldest, a girl, gave me a hug. And then her younger brother did the same. Seeing their smiles and their unconditional love reminded me of when Jesus said this about children: 

"The kingdom belongs to such as these." - Matthew 19:14

I began thinking about the love these kids showed for me and just what it means to be a follower of Jesus. Who am I to decide whether or not to serve? I should be willing to serve these kids in whatever way God chooses. Let the Lord decide.

Then there's this encouragement from Job. He was besieged with sufferings and pain yet . . .

"Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him." - Job 13:15

One final thing. The first kid who gave me the hug last Sunday . . .

Her name was Tabitha.

When the Lord called people in the Old Testament the reply most given was, "Here I am" or "Here I am. Send me." That will be my response also to VBS 2025. Let the Lord be forever praised. Amen!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment