In my last story, I shared our Youth Group Bible Study regarding Paul at Mars Hill. Today you will read about what happened shortly after that lesson was delivered. It's pretty cool.
[If you missed the last story, you can read it here]
After the Bible study, one of the other youth leaders ran an activity where kids were paired up with someone they didn't know too well. It was each kid's job to learn things about each other through a series of questions. This mimicked Paul walking through Athens and learning about its people.
After that activity it was snack time and all of the kids went back to their old familiar friends. All except one that is. One of the kids sat down next to me and started a conversation. Just like Paul did in Athens.
This kid asked me who my favorite singer was. I initially said Steve Perry from Journey, but then said, "He's too old," wanting to related to my questioner's age. I thought for a moment and then said, "Dave Frey from Sidewalk Prophets."
"How about you?" I asked.
"Josiah Queen."
We quickly shared videos of our favorite singers. After listening to each of them, we agreed that they actually had similar sounding voices. Now we both had new singers to listen too. (Examples below)
Did you pick up on what just happened? One of our youths actually listened to our teaching!! There may be hope for humanity after all! Lol!
But something else happened. I, the teacher, also learned something. And it was part of my teaching. I taught myself? Yep.
This was one of the verses I used in my Bible study.
“My word that goes out from my mouth, shall not return to me empty; but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing which I sent it.” – Isaiah 55:11
It seemed kind of out of place in my study when I wrote it down, but God used it to remind me of something. These kids are smart, when they want to me. They even teach their teachers sometimes. Now, another verse comes to kind.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways submit to him and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6
Make Heaven Crowded - Josiah Queen
You Love Me Anyway - David Frey - Sidewalk Prophets

No comments:
Post a Comment