Monday, July 9, 2018

The LittleThings

Today's fast-paced world screams for our attention. So many distractions! But if we can just tune out all the noise, there are so many things we can learn simply by observing, by slowing down.

For example, I met with a young couple yesterday. They're getting married in three weeks and I have been asked to officiate. I have met with them a few times now and have observed some things that have reminded me how important our observation of others can be.

The bride-to-be is very respectful of her parent's wishes. When asked about her wedding dress, the young woman said she'd "get married in a sweatshirt . . . but my mom wants . . ." The couple wanted just get married by themselves "but my dad really wanted to walk me down the aisle."

Just a few words or a simple gesture can say a lot about a person.

I've seen more women lately getting pregnant without the marriage part. That tells me something. They seem to be more interested in pleasing themselves than in pleasing their parents or God. That may sound mean for me to say such a thing but it's true. I'm just observing the things people are doing. And I am reading my Bible.

The Bible tells me many things about pleasing God. "Honor you father and mother" for example, is an excellent way to God. Having sex outside of marriage is not.

The world we live in often tells us one thing while the Bible tells us another.

"Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much." - Luke 16:10

"Doing what is right in the eyes of The Lord" is a very big thing. It is the smallest of leaks in a ship that can foretell of the disaster to come. What are we telling people, in the way we live our lives, that forms their opinion about us? Are we mindful of God's wishes for us? Or mindful of our own desires?

In The Bible, it always went well for the selfless, the merciful, the compassionate. Not so well for the greedy, the proud and the arrogant. How will it go for US today?

Hoe will we honor God today? What little thing will we do today that will forge someone's opinion about us and the kind of person we are? Let it be said of us that we followed and were obedient to our king and did what was right in God's eyes. 

The Blessing - John Waller

No comments:

Post a Comment