Monday, July 30, 2018

Marriage

This past Saturday I had the honor and privilege of officiating at a wedding. As I did the research for my sermon I discovered something about my own relationship with God and with my wife as well. And just who I am in my role as a bridegroom. AND a bride.

As a man I am the bridegroom to my wife. It is our anniversary today. My bride and I have been married for 41 years. Maybe that sounds like a lot of years to you but it really doesn't seem that long to me. That's probably because I love my wife and I enjoy spending time with her.

As a Christian I also play the role of the bride in my relationship with Jesus. HE is the bridegroom, I am the bride. Kind of confusing but not really if you read the Bible and understand the role we were created to play.

In my marriage to my wife I am supposed to be like Jesus. I am to be the shepherd of my family. I am to love my wife. Even lay down my life for her if God requires it. I am to be obedient to God in all things.

I look at the example of Jesus. Everything He did was according to the will of His Father. That's exactly what I should do in life. The way I live my life, the way I treat my wife, my family and my relationships - everything should reflect my Heavenly Father. His desires, His love, His compassion, mercy and grace. Obedience is a good word to live in our faith.

In the message I delivered at the wedding I spoke about the role of the bride and the bridegroom. But really, we don't have to look any farther than Jesus for examples of both.

It is currently two o'clock in the morning as I am typing this. Why am I up at this hour? It's because I can't sleep. Something was bothering me so I was praying in bed and then I felt the need to get up and write some of this down. So I did.

Why are we so afraid of letting people know we are Christians? What are we afraid of? Persecution? People distancing themselves from us? That's exactly what we are supposed to do! We are to be set apart, not blend in.

In our relationships with God we are to be the bride. Our role is to submit to the will of the husband - the bridegroom. That's Jesus. What did Jesus do when He was confronted by the Pharisees? Did he keep quiet? Was He afraid? No! He laid down His life!

It's now 2:30 in the morning. I think I have answered my question. I think I can go back to sleep now. I am not afraid. There should be no fear in our relationships with others. We should have the confidence to stand up for who we are, no matter what happens. We are the children of God!

The following passage of scripture was used in my message on Saturday. And now I find myself using it again today. Thank you Lord.. There is no fear in love.

"God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." - 1 John 4:16-18

No Fear In Love - Steffany Gretzinger


No comments:

Post a Comment