Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Rescuer

It didn't occur to me until this morning, the significance of what I had done the other day. Looking back on it now I feel like it was a message of some sort. A message that needs to be told.

I am building a tiny home in our yard. It's slow going to be sure but I am almost done with the exterior. Each morning I walk up to the job  site and open all the windows and the door. I have been doing that since, well, since there were windows and a door.

Periodically bugs get in and beat themselves senseless against the windows trying to get back out side. "Have you tried the open door?" I ask to myself, shaking my head in disbelief. Well, the other day THIS happened. All on the same day, all within the span of a few hours.

I was working most of the morning, putting siding on the tiny home. Painting, caulking, but I was getting hungry so I decided to take a break. When I got back to our regular house I heard a low, buzzing noise. I looked up to see a hummingbird, trapped in the rafters of our garage. It must have flown in through the open overhead door and couldn't see a way to get back out.

So I opened the service door and the two garage windows for some more obvious exits and went in to eat my lunch. When my meal was over I checked on the hummingbird. It was still in there buzzing so I went back up to the tiny house.

When I got there I heard and saw a fluttering of wings - a female Evening Grosbeak was INSIDE the tiny home. It had come in through the open door but couldn't find its way back out. I tried grabbing it but it was too freaked out and scared to allow it. It eventually landed on top of the open door and I directed it downward with my hand to freedom and off it went.

A few hours later I returned to the big house to get something and noticed that the hummingbird was gone. "Well, that's good," I thought to myself as I walked bake to the tiny house. When I arrived, I again noticed the fluttering of wings inside the tiny home.

"Again?" I thought? Yep. This time it was a Monarch butterfly. My favorite kind of butterfly. I reached out to it, gently, and held it inside my closed hand. Opening it slowly outside, I set it free and it was on its way.

There are so many different directions to go with this story, it's almost unbelievable. I'll start with the hummingbird, which eventually found its own way out of the garage. Some people are like that. You can show them what they need to do in life and eventually they can figure it out for themselves. But people waste a lot of time trying to find things out on their own, searching for answers. If they'd only listen.

Some people require direction when they get in trouble, like the grosbeak. They need a guiding hand to point them in the direction they should go. When they "see the light" they take off, never to return to the trap they found themselves in.

Then there are others who will die in the trap the found themselves in. There are numerous flies, wasps and bees in the windows of my tiny house because no one showed them the way out. But the beautiful butterfly was noticed by someone who cared for it. Like I said, the Monarch is my favorite butterfly. I took the time to actually, physically, rescue it.

Who is the butterfly in YOUR life who needs to be held, guided, loved and then released?

Jesus will provide for our every need. NEED, not want. He will guide us and direct us to where He wants us to be. But we DO need to open our eyes and see. We DO need to think and respond to His leading. If we don't we are destined to keep going around the mountain, around the mountain, around the mountain. Beating ourselves senseless against that ways of this world.

Jesus is OUR rescuer. He desires that no one should perish. But we have to allow Him to work in us and through us to save us. May God rescue those whom YOU love. May He guide them to safety and may they not become too damaged on their way to freedom in His arms.

37“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing." - Matthew 23:37

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

No comments:

Post a Comment