Monday, November 2, 2015

Lay It Aside

There is an invisible force at work in the universe. I have experienced it. Perhaps you have too. This is not a story about the fictional "Force" that is mentioned in Star Wars. Nor is this a story about the god Eywa in the movie Avatar. No. I'm talking about something very real. God's Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit leads us and guides us and it draws us to God. The words of Jesus . . .

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day." - John 6:44

How does God "draw us"? The following is from GotQuestions.org

The Greek word translated “draw” is helkuo, which means “to drag” (literally or figuratively). Clearly, this drawing is a one-sided affair. God does the drawing to salvation; we who are drawn have a passive role in the process. There is no doubt that we respond to His drawing us, but the drawing itself is all on His part.

But how does God draw us? Do we suddenly just fall into a trance and float to Him? What does the whole process look like? This could be an example. What do YOU think?

Friday night I received a message on Facebook from a kid I hadn't seen in two years. It simply said, "I have a question." That led to a brief Facebook conversation and a meeting was arranged. In that meeting we talked about life, struggles, and . . . most importantly . . . God.

Do you believe that God would take the time to arrange earthly meetings, then send His Holy Spirit to help orchestrate them? I do. I've seen it happen too many times for it not to be true. We might lose a job and think, "Well, this sucks." when in reality God wants you somewhere else to pour into someone's life for His ultimate glory. And that's the key in all of this. It's for God's ultimate glory, not ours.

My young friend came seeking help. She was led. She also happened to bring two friends with her that day. Was this God-arranged meeting for their benefit as well? I have no idea but I do know this.

When we feel led to do something, and it lines up with God's will, I believe we should do it, no matter how crazy it might seem. God led me in such a way. If you are a believer in Christ I'm sure God has led you too. We must always be willing to be led and we must always be willing to serve.

If you don't have a relationship with Jesus, ask God to arrange one. I'm quite confident He will. :)

"12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12:1-3

Bless The Broken Road - Rascal Flatts

This message was inspired by Pastor Dave's message on 11/1/15 at Calvary Chapel - Waupaca

No comments:

Post a Comment