Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Commands of Jesus: No Lay Ups!

The command we will be investigating today is one that really hit home early in my walk with Jesus. You see, I was unknowingly living contrary to this command until someone confronted me with what I was doing and the Holy Spirit finished the work in me as I became convicted, repented, and made things right with the Lord.

For me, my treasure was a '99 Corvette. I set aside money to buy it, placing its worth above that of my family members. If you knew me back then you probably saw me driving it to church or to my Bible study. I was a new Christian and it was at that study that someone said, "A Christian driving a Corvette? Interesting." That hit deep. Then, when I read the following verse, my perspective on this life shifted. And I began to change.

19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:19-21

I was an obvious example of someone "laying up treasure on earth" through the purchase and idolization of that Corvette. Do you have any such idols in YOUR life? As we look at our lives, what if we dig deeper, examing ourselves and our walk with Christ. Let me ask you as few questions.

Is your job "a treasure?" Or maybe the better question is, "Do you treasure the things you buy with the money from your job? In short, what is YOUR Corvette?

How about digging a little deeper? Are you in a relationship with someone? Are you living with someone? Is your relationship God-honoring or has it become your treasure by placing more value on IT than on God's Word and His commands?

Let's dig deeper still. Deeper? How deep are we going here, Bob? Well, let's see . . .

Is your religion a treasure? Do you store it up, thinking you are saved and going to heaven because you have led a good enough life and because you go to church, you pray and you were baptized when you were a baby? Jesus did not like "religion" like that.

The final question . . .

Are YOU your own treasure? Have you placed yourself and your personal desires above God and His? Is it more important to you to do what YOU want than what GOD wants? Do you spend more time on Facebook than you do with God? Do you spend time searching for things to do because you're bored? Or do you spend your spare time helping a friend go through a break-up or pray with a friend who just lost his job?

We need to consider others before we give thought to ourselves. We are to be servants, not masters. To store up treasures in heaven that is where our hearts need to be . . . all the time.

"33 And they came to Capernaum. And when he was in the house he asked them, “What were you discussing on the way?” 34 But they kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. 35 And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” 36 And he took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, he said to them, 37 “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.” - Mark 9:33-37

My Delight Is In You - His Life City Church

Worst Lay Up video

No comments:

Post a Comment