Saturday, January 19, 2019

God's Timing

I am grateful for the calendar app on my phone. It keeps me on track and reminds me of all the places I need to be and when. Usually.

Friday morning I was scheduled to have a doctor appointment. I had gone on-line just to verify the time. 10 o'clock. I had it written down in my calendar app as 10 o'clock too. But when I arrived at the doctor's office I was told it was at 11 o'clock, not 10.

What? How could I make a mistake like that? I had checked. Maybe I was getting forgetful. Maybe? Here was living proof! Then I heard the main door sliding open and in walked the reason I was an hour early. Tony!!

Tony and I have known each other for 40 years. Tony was my boss when I was working. Now that I am retired I just don't see him anymore.

My friend is now on disability. He has some intestinal issues that doctors just can't seem to fix. Tony gets understandably down emotionally due to his condition. And why not. He has a beautiful wife and a wonderful family. He should be enjoying life. He loved skiing in the winter and doing all kinds of fun things with his wife and kids. Now he is limited in what he can do and that gets him down.

I visit the office where I used to work about once a week or so. Tony's office is always dark. I see his wife once in a while, who also works there. I saw her just this past Tuesday. She too is struggling because she loves her husband and hates to see HIM struggle.

What a blessing it was to see my friend! We talked in the waiting room for a bit and then I walked him to the front desk. After we hugged and said good bye we told each other that we loved one another, and then he left.

As I watched him go I thought about God and how good He is. My appointment was scheduled six months ago and here I had caught up with my friend. Amazing.

It's hard to say if I will ever see my friend again. He is so sick. But the gift I received yesterday - to be able to see my friend one more time - was truly from above. And I thank You, Lord, for that good and perfect gift.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." = James 1:17

Every Perfect Gift - Casey Darnell

No comments:

Post a Comment