Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Parable of the Lighthouse Keeper

Why do you check your phone late at night? Are you looking for a friend, lost in the darkness? Or are you looking for a way out of that darkness for yourself?

The lighthouse keeper of old led a lonely life. His whole purpose was to keep a light burning in the lighthouse so ships at sea could navigate dangerous waters at night.

Most nights there was no need for the light. All was calm. But the light was lit anyway. You see, one never can tell who might be out there . . . who might need that light.

I can identify with the life of that lighthouse keeper. Keeping watch by night, In case someone needs rescuing.

It was two o'clock in the morning this past week. Just about everyone in Central Wisconsin was asleep. Except me. I could not sleep for some reason so I got up and walked into the living room.

I picked up my phone and checked my messages. The light from my phone lit up the entire living room. Usually there are no messages but that was not the case that night. There WAS a message - written at 12:55 AM. "Hello Bob," it began. The message went on to talk about a need for change in this person's life. Some un-named temptation was causing this person to stray into dangerous waters.

I quickly sent a reply (an hour late) but there was no reply. Did this person's "ship" run aground? Did it sink? I have absolutely no idea. So I sent out a search party.

Heavenly Father, I am praying this morning for all those souls who are "lost at sea" and are calling out for help. I pray for the people in their lives, that someone might answer their cry for help. I pray that the people in danger of drowning in this sometimes very dark world, I pray they would reach out to You. None of us is prefect and when we are in danger let us send out a May Day message for help and call on the Name of The Lord. You are our refuge and our strength, our ever-present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1). Answer the prayer of those who are lost and seeking refuge from their storm. Thank you, Lord, for hearing the prayers of Your children. It is in Your wonderful name I pray. Amen.

"15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." - Romans 7:15-20

The Life of a Light Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment