Monday, September 9, 2019

Then The Lights

Life can seem pretty boring sometimes. We go about our daily routines. Mindless to what's happening around us. Blah, blah, blah. Then something happens to wake us up and get our attention. That's when the lights come on.

That was me this morning. I was delivering some vegetables to the local food pantry when I noticed a car approaching me rather quickly from the rear. Then the lights came on.

I began wondering what I had done. Was I speeding? Tailgating the car in front of me? I pulled over to the side of the road and waited. It wasn't long before the door to the police car opened and here came the officer.

Should I unbuckle my belt and take my wallet out? No! It might make it seem like traffic stops happen to me all the time. Patience. What did I do?!?

"Good morning sir, I noticed that your brake light was not working but then, when you, stopped, it was. You'd better get that looked at. Where are you headed?"

I told the officer I was headed to the local food pantry to drop off some food. The tomatoes on the front seat helped me convince the nice officer who sent me on my way.

Thinking about the situation from the cop's point of view, I was impressed. These days there are too many stories of police officers being gunned down after "the suspect had been pulled over for a routine traffic violation." Considering that scenario, I was extended tremendous grace.

I looked at my own behavior. When confronted with "the law" I immediately examined myself to discern what I could have been doing wrong. And isn't that just the same as when you and I are confronted with The Gospel? Yes!

The police officer was concerned for me and others by making sure my brake lights were working. Even thought I had done nothing wrong in my own eyes, I was actually breaking the law by having malfunctioning brake lights. Yet, despite my guilt, I was extended grace.

If that is not us in our sin I don't know what is.

"23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness . . ." - Romans 3:23-25

Perhaps I should check my brake lights before heading out next time. I "assumed" they were working. When was the last time we checked our faith? Is it functioning as it should? Or are we just . . . assuming?

No comments:

Post a Comment