Wednesday, July 1, 2020

How God Works

Sometimes we can get frustrated when it seems like God does not hear our prayers. We can feel alone or "unheard" by Him. That's a sad place to be. But that's not faith. Sometimes it's just how God works.

Why do I have a picture of a golf disc for my blog today? Well, because it is the beginning point of where this story about God answering prayer begins.

Three weeks ago one of the players in the disc golf league I run gave me this disc. "Found this on hole eight" he said. So I took this picture of it and put it on our group's Facebook page. It wasn't long before I got a message from the disc's owner.

I carried this disc in my car for weeks. Finally, last night, I messaged the owner again and told him I was at Swan Park if he wanted to come get his disc. We finally met last night and the exchange was made. But that's just the side story.

Earlier last night, before all the players came, I prayed. The whole reason I had created this disc golf league was to establish relationships with people. The goal being to share the Gospel and share my faith with others. That might sound weird but that's just what I felt like I should be doing. In ALL things.

However nothing like that was happening and I was frustrated. So I laid it all out in a prayer.

"God, I feel like I'm not accomplishing the things I wanted to do for You. I want to share the Gospel. I want to share my faith and my love for You with others but it's not happening. Please provide an opportunity tonight."

As the night came to an end I started packing up. The players left and soon, I was the only one left. Well, me and this guy who came walking up - the lost disc's owner. He and I talked for 40 minutes about life, family and God until the entire parking lot was empty.

THAT, my friends, is how God works.

Would you like to have God answer your prayers? Pray. But pray in such a way that God will WANT to answer. Don't pray asking God to help you pass a math test. God is not a genie. Pray in His will. Pray for things you know God would want to have happen anyway. We are here to serve Him, not the other way around.

Does God want us to share the Gospel? Yes. Does God want us to be in healthy relationships for His ultimate glory? Yes. Was I surprised when this young man then came walking up and into my life? No. Because God is and was being glorified.

THAT is how God works!

"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do." - James 1:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment