Monday, October 18, 2021

Father-Son

Over the past few days I have witnessed the special bond that can exist between a father and his son. I say 'can' because not all fathers and sons have that kind of relationship.

Sadly, some fathers couldn't care less about the children they sire. They were just interested in their own sexual gratification. They are just interested in themselves. A TRUE father is more interested in His wife and children than he is in his own welfare.

My wife and I watched our grandson play in a football game on Saturday. After the game our grandson couldn't wait to tell his dad about the whole thing, even though his dad had already watched the entire game. A special bond.

I played a few rounds of disc golf later that same day with a man and his nephew - a relationship similar to that of a father and his son. After we had finished playing, the older man said to me, speaking about BOTH of his nephews, "I can't tell you how much it means to me to be out here with these boys."

Many of today's societal issues could be eliminated all together if sons and fathers loved and respected one another.

Jesus and His Father are our perfect example of this ideal father-son relationship. Jesus was, and still is, very obedient to doing His Father's will.

And God the Father's relationship His Son?

"And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” - Matthew 3:17 - Matthew

I am grateful to have a good relationship with my son. And equally as grateful to see that same relationship exists between MY son and HIS son.

As I reflect back on my life I can remember similar relationships with fatherless sons in youth groups at church, encountered while playing disc golf, or while attending Christian music festivals.

Hen a father loves a son, and a son loves his father, the results are NEVER disappointing.

"The Father loves the Son and has placed all things in his hands." - John 3:35

"For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does." - John 5:20

"I am in the Father and the Father is in me." - John 14:11

No comments:

Post a Comment