Saturday, June 4, 2022

Tim

I'd like you to meet my friend Tim. The two of us met earlier this year out at the local disc golf course. Tim is a walking reminder of why God wants us to have relationships.

During our first conversation a few months ago, I learned that Tim had lost his loving wife eight years earlier. I also learned that Tim had suffered a heart attack four years ago and had taken up disc golf as a way to get some exercise.

Well, I saw Tim again this past Wednesday. He was playing, I was cutting down trees.

I put down my chainsaw and walked out to talk with my buddy. As our conversation progressed, I learned that Tim was moving back to Missouri, where he was originally from. That's where his family is. His kids and grandkids.

His heart attack had scared him a little when he came to realize that he was literally all alone here in Wisconsin, familywise. Should he have another medical emergency, well, it's best to have family close by. If all goes well, Tim will be moving back home in just a few short weeks.

None of us knows when we will be spending our last day on this earth. What will we be doing when God calls us home? Will God find us loving others? Or will he find us too busy for a friend or for Him? Always take the time to love one another.

"Hey Tim. Before you leave, can I pray for you?"

"That'd be fine."

I don't know what Tim's faith is. Whether he has any or not. Whether he knows the Lord or not. I don't know if he's a Democrat or a Republican, what his sexual orientation is or whether he's a member of the NRA. But I DO know that I will miss my friend, and that is enough for today.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

Jesus gave us that command three times in two sentences. What do you think? Does Jesus REALLY want us to love one another? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment