Wednesday, August 24, 2022

In God We Trust


Really?

Do we really trust in God as a nation? As individuals? As a church?

Read the Book of Jeremiah, or any other Old Testament book. God's people keep wandering off and worshipping other gods (small 'g'). Things are no different today.

Example: During the Covid-19 pandemic, did our leaders humble themselves and pray to God? Did we repent of our sins as a nation, stop killing our babies, and stop worshipping the god of same sex relationships?

No.

Instead we relied on ourselves and our own means for help. According to what I read in the Bible, if we had prayed to God as a nation, He would have relented and stopped the plague ling before so many died.

Do we really trust in God? Where is our president, leading us in prayer for the nation? Where are the prayers of repentance? And would they do any good?

God has a breaking point. A time when He has had enough. Remembet The Flood? I believe we have passed that point and are in a time of punishment.

Here is an excerpt from the Book of Jeremiah. I have modified the city and country names to apply to this nation.

"America has broken the covenant I made with their ancestors. Therefore this is what the Lord says: ‘I will bring on them a disaster they cannot escape. Although they cry out to me, I will not listen to them. The towns of New York and Los Angeles and the people of Washington D.C.will go and cry out to the gods to whom they burn incense, but they will not help them at all when disaster strikes." - Jeremiah 11:10-12

We need to ask ourselves, "Would Joe Biden humble himself, repent, and pray for forgiveness?" I doubt it. Neither would Trump, Pelosi, or McConnell.

Why not? Pride, greed, and the love of power and reliance on self. Those are all sins in God's eyes, but we just can't stop ourselves.

Perhaps our nation's motto should be changed to more accurately reflect our sinful nature.

"In Self We Trust"

There is hope though. God told us the cure for what ails this once-great nation. ANY nation.

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." - 2 Chronicles 7:14

The problem is not an unwilling God, it is an unwilling and unrepentant people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment