Monday, December 19, 2022

Tending The Fire


The weather forecast for the coming week looks cold. That means we will be having some nice, hot fires in our fireplace.

We can usually get the indoor temps into the mid-seventies, but in order to do that we need to keep the fire going.

If we don't keep putting wood on the fire that nice warm fire will go out and my wife and I will grow cold. That's not good.

Our faith can leave us feeling the same way if we don't keep at it and keep fanning those spiritual flames.

I have been reading the Bible a lot lately. And I have been fasting from my usual diet of news programs as well. Here's what I've learned.

My anxiety level is down. It was low to begin with but the reassurances found in God's Word really do bring peace of mind.

My confidence in God has inceased. I had a level of trust already but the increased knowledge of the scriptures makes me feel more secure in my beliefs.

My compassion for others has increased. Again, I had empathy for others who were hurting already, but compassion increases when we read and see how compassionate Jesus was to the poor and to the sick.

To sum up, reading God's word is a like consuming fire. The more we read the more we are reminded of how great of God is. And we can rest in the knowledge that He loves and cares for us. Why? Because it says so.

"Since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.” - Hebrews 12:28-29

It's not even 10° this morning where we live, bit my wife and I will be nice and warm. Why? Because we have built a fire and will ten it to keep us warm. We must do the same with our faith. If we keep it burning, we will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment