Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Unexpected Gift


I love my wife, but there is someone that I love more. His name is Jesus. Why? Because of His grace and mercy. Today's story is a real life example of what His love is truly like. A gift.

We got a half a foot of snow dumped on us over the past few days. Neither my wife nor I wanted to venture out to the mailbox to see if we had received any Christmas cards but I relented and went out to check.

When I opened the mailbox I found a package inside. I guessed that my wife had ordered something for one of our grandkids and hurriedly brought the mail inside.

My wife was in the kitchen so I took off my gloves and set the package, etc. on the counter. That's when my fingers told me what was inside. It felt like a golf disc. You know, a Frisbee.

My wife must have gotten me a Christmas gift. So I quickly handed it to her, pretending that I didn't know what was inside. Just as quickly though, she handed it back.

"I didn't order anything. Besides, it's addressed to you."

I hadn't ordered anything either but it definitely was addressed to me and it definitely felt like a golf disc inside.

So, grabbing a pair of scissors from the drawer and opened the package. It was a golf disc, a card, and a 2023 calendar.

What!?! This sure was a surprise! Why would someone do this!? Yes, it's Christmas time, but why and who?

The package came from Innova Discs in California. Hmm. I did order some custom hot-stamped discs from them this year. Maybe I got on a Christmas list somewhere? I don't know. But this? They didn't owe me anything.

Then something totally different occurred to me. Here I was, staring at a perfect example of God's grace and love. 

None of us is deserving of ANY gifts from God. We are ALL sinners and God hates sin. Why then would God offer us salvation? Why would He ever forgive us our sins?

The answer is both simple and complex. It's His amazing love and grace.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

So, today I know two things. One, a golf disc can fit inside our mailbox. And two, God's love for us is amazing.

God's love is unwarranted, undeserving, surprising, full of grace and mercy, abundant, and without measure.

There is a package awaiting anyone who seeks God's favor and forgiveness.

Hint: Open the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment