Saturday, December 31, 2022

Using God's Gifts


Each year, in the month leading up to Christmas, my wife can often be found in the kitchen baking Christmas cookies. She loves to bake. And those of us who have tasted her yummy yuletide treats love that she does.

Today's story is about how one of her cookies, lovingly called a date pie, led to a moment of compassion and prayer with a friend.

Before I retired my wife used to plate up some of her Christmas treats for me to take to work. My coworkers loved them. In the weeks leading up to Christmas, instead of traditional 'Good morning' greetings, I would hear, "When's your wife sending in those cookies?" Ah, the power of the stomach.

One co-worker in particular loved my wife's date pies. So much so that, after I retired, I always stopped in to make sure she got some. This year, my wife's Christmas cookies served as a door opener to a deeper conversation with that friend.

Do you believe that God orchestrates meetings for the good of His children and for His ultimate glory? I sure do. I have witnessed His doing this far too many times to think otherwise.

That day at work, all of the people that I had planned to talk to were somehow too busy. Hmm. Except for the one God wanted me to talk to.

We must always be open to a sudden change in plans. Perhaps God has something wonderful in store!

You know, if my wife hadn't used her gift of baking those cookies, would I even have had an opportunity for a conversation about God and to pray with my friend? God knows. But my wife used one of her gifts to bless others.

"As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." - 1 Peter 4:10

What is YOUR gift? And how will you use it for God's glory?

No comments:

Post a Comment