Saturday, January 21, 2023

How God Works


Funny. I wrote down the title for this story and just stared at it for 10-15 minutes. What an impossible task - to describe how God works. The ways he works are infinite - "like the grains of sand on the seashore," to use God's own words. But I CAN give you ONE example.

This story began several years ago when someone suggested I meet with a young man was "going through some stuff." That "stuff" was a near-fatal car accident, resulting in multiple surgeries to save his arms and legs, and a resulting opioid addiction. Not an easy hole to climb out of.

My friend had lots of questions about God. I guess I would have those same questions if I had been through what HE had. We met and talked several times, but those meetings diminished in number to occasional texts.

I photographed his wedding - an emergency substitute for a photographer who couldn't make it that day. If you haven't noticed, God kept providing ways for me to keep in touch with this guy.

Last week I got a text from my friend saying that he had met someone playing disc golf. He suggested that the three of us play together sometime. "Absolutely!" was my reply.

You know, I probably should have known then that God was up to something, but I didn't. I figured that sometime in the spring we'd play. It could wait. No rush, right?

Last night at our disc golf putting league a new guy came walking up to me and introduced himself. Short hair, scraggly beard, piercings, tattoos, He asked me if I knew so-and-so (my friend from the first part of this story).

"Uh, yes. Yes, I do."

That's when I knew that God was up to something. That thought is solidifying itself with each word of this story, as I write.

Has God ever brought someone into your life who changed your life as a result? From what I have seen, God does that quite often. Most of the time we don't even notice. But sometimes we do, and we get to watch God working in someone's life, for their good and His glory.

"Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with every good thing to do His will. And may He accomplish in us what is pleasing in His sight through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen." - Hebrews 13:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment