Monday, January 16, 2023

Send Me


"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!
- Isaiah 6:8

There is a tendency these days, especially with all of us as busy as we are, to pass over volunteer opportunities. We simply can't take on anything else in our lives.

At the same time though, if somebody doesn't do it, who will? And how do we know if it isn't the Lord calling us to do something . . . for Him?

Do you know yourself well enough to know whether or not you're good at something? I do. When my church asks for volunteers to bake treats for everyone, I steer clear. Bowing our heads in prayer is good. Bowing our heads in pain after eating one of my 'treats' is not.

But what if your church asks for help in an area where you CAN actually help. Does your hand go up? Do you say "Send me!"

The best test for a compassionate volunteer comes when there is no spoken request at all. No words are needed. But you can sense there IS a need. And you act.

Maybe it's through a Facebook post or in the expression on someone's face. Something's not right. And you want to help.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"May I pray for you?"

This is what Christians do. We serve others. We have compassion for those who are hurting. We 'volunteer' without raising our hands or saying, "Send me." Why? Because we are children of God and we cannot NOT do something. (Bad English?)

Where is there a need in your church, your family, your community, or your group of friends? Remember when Jesus told us about the sheep and the goats? The goats said to Jesus:

"Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’"
- Matthew 25:44-45

We don't want to be goats. Sheep volunteer. Be a sheep. We must help our brothers and sisters who are in need. Even if there is no spoken request. If you KNOW there is a need, fill it.

You, You Are God - Gateway Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment