Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Power of Prayer


Did you see what happened on Monday Night Football? A player, Damar Hamlin, collapsed on the field, his heart stopped beating, and CPR was administered. He would have died if it weren't for the EMTs.

And then the players. The players and other personnel gathered in a circle Monday night and began to pray. There's a lesson there for you and me. But it's not the one you think.

The Old Testament is filled with stories about how God's people turned their back on Him. He would then punish them for their transgressions. Then, finally they would repent and return to Him. Only then did God hear their prayers. Only then did God heal them.

We go through our daily lives without much thought about God. Only when we really need them do we turn to Him. Do you think He will listen?

They say that the only prayer God hears from an unbeliever is a prayer of repentance. God is not some magic genie that we can pray to whenever we want and get what we're praying for. He's a God who demands obedience to his will and faithfulness. And THEN He will give us the desires of our hearts.

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, THEN I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." - 1 Chronicles 7:14

But did you notice then, when the players realized there was nothing they themselves could do, they turned to God in their desperation. Now, if we could just remember to be obedient and repentant in our daily lives.

What a thing for the world to witness though! People gathered in prayer, not for themselves, but for someone who was unable to pray.

God wants us to be holy. And 'holy' means 'set apart ones.' We need to be different than the rest of the world. We need to stand in the truth of God's word, no matter what it costs.

God answers the prayers of His children everyday. Does He answer yours?

The Gospel - Paul Washer

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob - I was asking Ken about whether or not God would listen to the prayers of those on the field who were not saved. I wasn't sure that He does. But I sent some comments to a friend...I was watching the Bills/Bengals game on Monday night because Betsy had it on. When Damar Hamlin fell and everyone was stunned at the seriousness of the injury, I said a prayer for him and his family because it looked bad. What I thought was interesting that the players and coaches got together and got on their knees to pray. I would think that the Christians on team would be doing that. What surprised me was that both teams and all of their personnel got on their knees and prayed. Also the commentators that didn’t really know what to say right after, one of them kept saying that we need to pray for the young man right now. I don’t know where he is with faith but he kept talking about that.

    Why do people go to prayer when things like this happen? BECAUSE THEY INSTINCTIVELY KNOW THAT GOD REALLY EXISTS. That’s my take on it. We have taken God out of our everyday life but they still know that He is. Now they need to acknowledge Him and invite them into their lives. That’s what I pray comes from that whole situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. It was so wonderful to see. Millions were exposed to people praying to God. I have also noticed that there has now been more talk about prayer on sports shows and newscasts. Again, it's a wonderful thing to see. Maybe people will trust in God because of this event. Praise the Lord!😊❤🙏

      Delete