Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Confirmation


When I was in my early teens I remember going through confirmation class at my church. I didn't really like it. It was just one of those things I had to do, so that I didn't have to do it anymore. Know what I mean?


"Confirmation" is supposed to be an affirmation of one's baptism as a baby. But how can we confirm or affirm something we can't even remember doing?

Today, many churches baptized babies. That's okay. I get it. It's tradition. But doesn't one's faith have to do with what one believes?

A baby only knows when it's hungry and when it's diaper is full. Not what it means to have a saving faith in Christ. And, from personal observation, many babies are often unwilling participants.

In my opinion, knowing God's Word and applying it to our lives is far more valuable than simply going to church or attending a confirmation class. Attendance is not the benchmark. Our faith is.

There comes a point in everyone's life when we make a decision about Jesus. Do we believe in Him or not?

Question 1: Where do people go when they die if they were baptized as babies yet denied Christ throughout their entire lives?

Question 2: Where do people go when they die if they were never baptized as babies, but then later placed their trust in Christ?

It's not about the water, or the act of baby  baptism that matters. It's about our acknowledgement of who Jesus is and then repenting of our sins. Any "confirmation" is an act of the Holy Spirit. We are baptized with and by Him.

"Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." - Acts 2:38

Peter's steps to being baptized:
  • Repent of our sins
  • Place your faith in Jesus
  • Receive the Holy Spirit
Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment