Wednesday, April 26, 2023

If Then


One of the few things I remember from my high school algebra class was the transitive property of equality - the "if/then" statement.

"If A = B and B = C then A = C"

It's like this.....

If Mary is my sister, and Tom is my brother, then Mary and Tom must be sister and brother. Something like that anyway.

There is another "if/then statement" statement that I read the other day that is also true and very important. It's in the Bible! Here it is.

"If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." - 2 Chronicles 7:14

That's another if/then statement but the "ifs" outnumber the "thens."
  1. Humble ourselves
  2. Pray
  3. Seek God's face
  4. Turn from our wicked ways.
IF we do ALL of those things, THEN God will hear us, forgive us and heal our land.

Look at that list. Do you see us doing those things as a nation anytime soon? Me neither.

"We're not going to make it, are we? People, I mean." - young John Conner - Terminator 2: Judgement Day

The thing about the world right now is that we have turned our backs on God. Not all of us, but most have. God can do anything. I'm convinced of that. But will He heal our land if we don't do any of those things?

Good question.

We keep forgetting one important thing about the Bible. It's for the Jews first, THEN the Gentiles. But Israel is just as bad off as WE are.

We as individuals can and must do all four of those things listed in the verse above. We'd best get to it. Our time is running short.

Maybe, if enough of us do these four things, God will hear our prayer. It's worth a shot, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment