Saturday, July 15, 2023

Children of The Scorn


What would our world be like if it was run by children? It's hard to say because we can only guess. But here are a few examples from my life this week that might provide us with some clues.

I teach a disc golf class in town. Our first class was this past Thursday. 15 kids showed up to learn. Or so I thought. 

Two of the children were clearly posessed by some sort of evil spirit. It seemed like it anyway. Fighting, cursing, name calling, spitting, disrespect....it wasn't pretty.

I wondered what could possibly be done to solve this problem. Should I kick the kids out of class? Should I talk to their parents? Both? Here's what I did.

First, I did speak to one of the parents - a very nice, loving mother of one of the boys. I mentioned the conflict I had witnessed and offered prayer. Then, the next day, this song came to mind.

"Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
They are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world."

Notice that the song says ALL the children. Not just SOME of the children. Not just the children who behave.

So, my plan is this: I will love these two troublesome boys. Even though they were disobedient, I will continue to encourage their good shots and discourage their bad behavior.

Am I any different in MY sin that these kids were in theirs? No. Jesus still loves me. Jesus still loves them. Have I already forgotten "the first and greatest commandment? To love God and to love others?

How quickly we forget God's commands when things don't go our way. I must try harder to "love my enemies" this coming week. Not that these boys are my enemies, but they ARE my neighbors.

At the end of my class I demonstrated a throw they would be learning this following week. Without being asked, one of the other students ran down, picked up my disc, and returned it to me.

This last kid demonstrated the heart of a true servant, and the respect she had for her teacher. She also taught her teacher a lesson in grace.

"The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love." - Psalm 103:8

"Any religion without love and compassion is false! It's a lie!" - Burt, Children of The Corn

No comments:

Post a Comment