Saturday, July 1, 2023

Three Words


"Thanks for cookin'!"

Three words and a smile. Not much of an effort, but they made someone smile the other day.

My wife and I were staying in a hotel as we visited some of God's creation at Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio.

Each morning we are provided a nice breakfast. Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast potatoes, cereal... I'm getting hungry just typing this!

Each time my wife and I stay in a hotel like this, I try to remember to thank the cook for preparing all of the food. I don't always remember, but the other day I did.

I walked into the kitchen area and said, "Thanks for cookin'." The young lady, wearing glasses and brandishing tattoos on both arms, thanked ME for my words and smiled.

Three words. "Thanks for cookin'."

Now, I didn't know what kind of morning she was having, what kind of homelife she had or what her beliefs about God were. But I do know this:

She is God's handiwork. God knew her before the foundation of the earth. And she is loved.

The morning we left the hotel, I stopped in the kitchen again and said the same three words. But this time was different.

"Thank you so much. Have a safe trip home."

I then asked if there was anything I could pray for in her life. 

"Just a general prayer would be great. I'm on the prayer list at my church."

Then she walked over and gave me a hug.

My point is this: It doesn't cost anything to be nice to someone. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's religious beliefs. Although in this case it did.

The world we live in is crazy enough, and who knows; if we pour a little love into the lives of the people we meet, maybe we can make a difference.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - John 13:34-35

The young woman's name is Melissa, in case you would like to pray for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment